I made this slightly outdated voice tone and personality infographic a couple years ago and it’s made quite a spread across the internet over those years. I’m now working on making a followup, but to do so, I need to do some more research and fine-tuning. Here, I’m just going over some basic studies on articulation and connecting it to what I know about the cognitive functions.
If you listen closely to how someone talks, you can get a clue into how they think.
- Bilabial: Both lips come together, as in p, b or m
- Labiovelar: Back of tongue approaches the soft palate and lips also come close to each other, as in w
“Please” “BB8” “Morning”
IF and FJ: Persuasive, playful, and serene p, b and m.
IFJs and ETPs have a persuasive, peaceful and playful speech. They come off as nonjudgemental and open-minded to people’s differences. They strike you as charismatic and goofy.
IT and TJ: Tense p, b and m. This type will come off as more serious and topic-oriented.
ITJs tend to come off dry, critical, and objective in their speech. They appear serious and down to the topic. They appear undiplomatic and matter-of-fact.
IF and TJ: The peaceful but serious, stern p, b or m.
IT and FJ: The critical, arrogant but jolly, fun, playful p, b or m.
- Labiodental: Lower lip contacts upper teeth, as in f or v
- Alveolar: Tongue tip contacts the alveolar ridge (the gums just behind the teeth), as in t, d, n, or l; or tongue blade contacts the alveolar ridge, as in s or z
IF and FP: Relax and broad f and v, drawn out and smacking f or v.
IT and TP: Focused tense breathy, short, concise f and v.
IF and TP: Focused relaxed breathy, drawn out f and v: Alluring and mystical f and v.
IT and FP: Broad but tense, short, concise f and v
- Dental: Tongue tip or tongue blade (part just behind the tip) contacts upper teeth, as in the two th sounds (e.g. thin vs. this)
- Postalveolar: Tongue blade contacts the postalveolar region behind the alveolar ridge, as in sh, ch, zh, or j; or tongue tip contacts the postalveolar region, as in r
Breathy, broad, stern, assertive, direct th
Precise, round, warm, persuasive th
EF + FJ
Warm, persuasive y.
ET + FJ
Cool, persuasive y
EF + TJ
Warm, assertive, serious y.
ET + TJ
Cold, serious, assertive, intimidating, cocky y
EF and FP: Warm and round, breathy, inquiring k, g or ng
EF and TP: Warm, precise, steady, drawn out k, g or ng.
ET and FP: Fast, elaborate, intimidating k, g, or ng.
ET and TP: Cool, assertive, fast, precise k, g or ng
IF: Breathy, drawn out
IT: Precise, swift